How to Save Money During the Cold Weather Months
Heating bills can really pile up during the cold weather month. Even folks who live in warm areas can find themselves cranking up the heat during a cold snap – only to receive a “gotcha” in the mail from their local utility.
Thankfully, there are ways to reduce this financial pain while staying warm.
Florida Power & Light Company is offering the following tips:
- Start at 68 – If you need to heat your home, set your thermostat to 68 degrees with the fan set to “auto” and be sure to turn off your heat when you leave. Every degree below 68 saves you five percent on heating costs.
- Check your filters – Clean or replace your air conditioner filter regularly (approximately each month) to help your unit operate more efficiently.
- Keep warm air in – Seal doors and windows with weatherstripping or caulk, which helps prevent warm air from leaking out.
- Harness the sun – Make sure your south-facing windows are clean and open those curtains during the day to heat your home with the sun.
- Lower your water heater temperature – Set your water heater temperature at 115 to 120 degrees to conserve energy. Shortening your showers helps, too!
- Give your pool pump a break – Reduce the time you run your pool pump by two hours a day to save up to $8.21 per month.
That part about cleaning filters is really important – since so many homeowners overlook it. Another thing to clean is your chimney (if applicable).
Copyright Today’s Credit Unions