It’s Better to Be in Texas When It Rains
Drivers in the great city of Brownsville, Texas aren’t afraid of a little rain – and you shouldn’t be afraid of them.
That’s because, according to insurer Allstate, Brownsville drivers are the safest in the nation when precipitation is part of the equation.
Other rain-safe drivers are to be found in Kansas City, Kansas; Cape Coral, Florida; Madison, Wisconsin; Port St Lucie, Florida; Huntsville, Alabama; Olathe, Kansas; Wichita, Kansas; Boise, Idaho; and Springfield, Missouri.
If you want to be a safe driver in the wet – regardless of where you live – you should heed the following advice from Allstate:
- Get your vehicle ready for extreme weather. Prepare yourself for dangerous situations. Ensure your headlights and brake lights are in working condition, along with your tires, heater, defroster, brakes and windshield wipers, and that you have enough windshield wiper fluid.
- Respect the weather. Take extra care if you encounter ice, snow, fog, rain or other dangerous weather conditions. Increasing following distance, traveling at slower speeds and accounting for the extra stopping time winter weather requires are all good ways to avoid collisions.
- Keep your full attention on the road. Make sure you’re 100 percent focused on the road, especially with slick streets and potentially dangerous conditions.
- Stay calm in a skid. If your vehicle begins to slide or skid, don’t panic. Look down the road in the direction you want to go and gently steer in that direction. Don’t slam on the brakes. That will upset the vehicle’s balance and make it harder to regain control. Instead, just release the accelerator until traction returns.
- Keep an emergency kit in your car. Make sure you have the tools you need to protect yourself, should a problem arise. Pack a kit with gloves, boots, blankets, flares, a brush, water, jumper cables, a flashlight and something for traction, such as sand or kitty litter.
- Make sure you are prepared for any roadside mishap or car failure. Download Allstate’s Good Hands Rescue® app and get on demand roadside assistance when and where you need it from the Apple Store or Google Play Store, or via the mobile website at m.GoodHandsRescue.com.
If none of those things works for you, you could always move to Brownsville.
Copyright Today’s Credit Unions