Fun Ice Cream Facts (Including How to Cure “Brain Freeze)
Summer is the time for frozen treats. Before you dive in, check out these fun facts courtesy of the National Frozen & Refrigerated Foods Association:
Some Surprisingly Sweet Ice Cream Facts
- You can cure brain freeze by pressing your tongue to the roof of your mouth or by drinking a glass of warm water.
- Twin popsicles were invented during the Great Depression so two siblings could share an ice pop for the price of one.
- Frozen yogurt can be made with sheep milk or goat milk – in the Middle East and China, even camel and yak varieties are available.
- A typical bathtub holds 50 gallons of ice cream.
- There are many new non-dairy frozen options – made with almond milk, soy milk, rice milk, coconut cream and more.
- Sorbet and Italian ice are similar to sherbet, but do not contain any dairy.
- Find more cool tidbits on NFRA’s Surprisingly Sweet Ice Cream Facts Infographic.
A Tasty Treat for Ice Cream Month
Nothing says “celebration” like an Ice Cream Sundae Cupcake! These delectable desserts are made in a muffin tin, so you can have just the right-sized treat to satisfy your sweet tooth.
From the brownie base to the cherry on top, these ice cream sundaes are a summertime must-have! Try this recipe and find lots more like it at EasyHomeMeals.com. Serving ideas for ice cream and novelties are only limited by your imagination.
Ice Cream Sundae Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 (18.4-ounce) package brownie mix, batter prepared according to package directions
- 6 cups ice cream (flavor of your choice)
- 1 (8-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Assorted chopped nuts, sprinkles, or crushed candies
- 24 maraschino cherries with stems
Preheat oven to 350. Line cups of two 12 ct. muffin tins with paper liners. Spoon 1/4 cup brownie batter into each muffin cup. Bake for approximately 15 minutes.
Let cool completely. (Do not remove from muffin pan.) Spoon and gently spread 1/4 cup of slightly softened ice cream over each brownie. Cover and freeze at least 4 hours or overnight. When ready to serve, add toppings. Serves 24
Find out more at www.nfraweb.org.
Copyright Today’s Credit Unions